Monday 10 June 2013

A Little Eye-Candy

Not that I'm obsessed or anything, but I spend most of this evening hacking a BIOS Rom file.
Running an unusual Phoenix BIOS makes it much harder than normal to do this, as the Logo image isn't stored in the usual place.Adding a logo prevented the flash utility from running, removing the existing file from a downloaded ROM didn't seem to help either. In the end, I backed up the current BIOS image, removed the attribute corresponding to the system logo and inserted the Incom logo instead.

Once confirmed working, I updated the Windows Kernel with a new boot screen. After resolving the ubiquitous Blue Screen(s) Of Death, I set a desktop image (again, the Incom Logo), removed the Recycle Bin (simple Registry entry) and hid the start menu. Finally, I set XWA to launch on startup, and set the Windows sound theme to "None"

Nothing technical achieved, but I think every little thing helps.

BIOS Splash screen

Windows Boot Screen

Desktop - It reads "Incom Corporation"... Honest

No comments:

Post a Comment