Tuesday 4 June 2013

A Question of Joy

The most important aspect in this project, to me, is the input device(s) used to control the game.
I've been playing X-wing using a trusty Gravis Blackhawk:


I got this joystick about 4 years ago. I bought this one specifically because it's the same model I had many years ago when I played XvT. It's a robust, heavy, and responsive 3-axis, 4-button stick. I was also happy to see that Riker agrees in Star Trek: Generations:


The downside is that I could do so much more with some extra axis/buttons, so it's time to retire the Gravis, and go for something with a little more to offer.

I looked at the Microsoft Sidewinders, but they weren't much better than the Gravis. I considered the Saitek x52 Pro but it didn't look right, and it's way out of my budget. All in all, modern USB joysticks seem crap compared to the older generation of heavy duty stuff, unless you're willing to spend hundreds. I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment